Internships Update

Digitalization

  • Finished adding the metadata to my portion of the Beyond Books and Buildings project
  • Eight or nine girls in the 1899 Typhoid Fever Epidemic that winter.
    • This website claims that thirteen girls and one teacher died. In the documents I was reading, only eight or nine girls were dead so far. The last dying on December 30, 1899.
  • I then wrote up an abstract for an interview for the Women’s Veterans History project. I highlighted the names and home counties of the girls that died in the description. It looks like two of the girls were sisters.

Museum

  • Scanned 56 photos from 1947 negatives.
  • Did some renumbering and data entry work on the Service and Stars project.

Prove your love to literature by branding a cow in the face!

While working at the digitalization internship today, I was describing the contents of an 1893 literary society group at the State Normal and Industrial School (what would later become UNCG). These girls, 117 years ago, had a initiative ritual which involves branding a cow in the face with the letter “C” while chanting in Latin.

I kid you not.

Other highlights from their constitution involved fining girls for speaking or writing out of turn and making them sign the constitution while swearing oaths of loyalty and secrecy. The log of their minutes reveals that they were in a heated fight with the other literary society. First, they tried to suck up to the school’s president by naming their society after him. He thought it was nice at first and then got crept out and made them change it. Second, members were expected to stalk and harass new students and members of the faculty into joining their group and not the other one. In fact, they petitioned the school to implement a strict rule that students couldn’t change from one literary group to another. Once they had made their choice, that was it.

Once the constitution and minutes are posted online I’ll add some links to this post. In the meantime, check out the Beyond Books and Buildings. These are the plain, boring version which I’ve converted to PDFs (some OCRed) and am now writing metadata about them in CONTENTdm. Ah, that reminds me, the other programs I’m using in conjugation with CONTENTdm are Photoshop and Adobe Bridge. Previously, I had only ever heard of Photoshop, so it feels pretty good to be learning some other programs to use with my work this summer.

The Drupal Website is Complete




Okay…there are still a few little things like changing the favicon, but the website is now open for business.

I have to go to my internship in a moment, but I thought I should commemorate the website’s competition. In the last long stretch, I put in 43.25 hours to pull it together. It’s unbelievably heavy with modules to just get basic functions working, which is frustrating, but my lack of knowledge about php probably has a lot to do with it. What I look forward to most are having my browser tabs back to myself and typing in my website address without it trying to auto-complete for the broken Drupal tester website.

Internship Update

Digitalization Lab

  • Learned how to use CONTENTdm.
  • Watched a webinar on CONTENTdm 5.4.

Museum

  • Fetching film negatives out of storage.
  • Studying the film negative and comparing it to another photo to see if it’s the same person. Defend my answer with “nasal labial folds aren’t the same.”
  • Tackling the never ending list of negatives that need to be scanned.