Done on behalf of the Children’s Library for their American Girl themed program. Each poster is the property of Darien Library.
Out of that big strategic meeting I talked about before, here is the World War I poster I made to support their August war book efforts. The two background photos come from WWI propaganda posters (I assume they’re public domain…). The photo in the foreground is from soldiers marching off to a battle.
InDesign kinda wrecked the blacks in the poster on export, but you get the idea. The next part of this is to make bookmarks, a digital sign, and film a video of our veteran/director promoting his favorite war novels.
I did not have any instructions for making the poster other than having a silhouette of soldiers. The original poster was going to be a 7 ft long banner, but that idea got nixed when we realized the banner would block other displayers. The banner would have had a full-scale battle scene collage from left to right. With my now limited space, I looked up propaganda posters for inspiration. I’m not quite sure what message others will get from here, but the one I semi-unconsciously went towards is that people may be tricked into going to war. I did not pick up on my message until I was mostly done, but we’ll see if any of our patrons thinks it is anti-war propaganda.
I’ve been working on and off to get this kiosk finished since December. It was scheduled to go “live” to the public yesterday, but since my boss is out, my colleague and I are going to wait till the boss gets back (unless he tells me otherwise!).
I need to figure out the best way to handle the maps. The kiosk will sit on the first floor, but you’ll be able to check out floor plans for the other three levels. I’m not sure how best to handle this. If you have suggestions, let me know!
Let’s be honest: I haven’t felt much like blogging, thus the radio silence here.
I’ve been thinking about where I want my career to go and I’m considering more support/strategic/teaching in my current work objectives. I tried to express this desire in an articulate way to my boss but floundered at it. The next day, I was asked by the two book group ladies to help with exactly I had been trying to communicate before. It’s bedtime here, but here’s the gist of what the book group ladies and I discussed today:
Analyzed statistics from their webpage and email newsletters to see what content is of interest to their users.
Worked together to decide what elements to eliminate from the website and what to add.
Decided to axe one of their social media accounts since they never update it.
Discussed how to get the catalog listing of books in shape.
How to create a master list of book group members so we can analyze their patterns of usage.
Designing email templates for generic responses.
I was thinking we’d use Excel for the giant list about their book groups, but they’re disinterested in having anything like a complicated workflow. While it’d be easy enough for me to flicker from tool to tool, they want something seamless and end to end. I’ll need to think about this challenge before I make my recommendations.