We had to present our projects in Elluminate which was a technical nightmare. When it was my turn, I got creeped out by the sensation of talking to an empty room which in-turn led to lots of verbal fillers like “uh…” I’m ashamed of that since it was forced out of me when I took public speaking in high school. My boyfriend told me that I settled in when I started talking about Drupal though which is a relief! However, I’m not looking forward to watching the recording later…
For my final project in the Digital Libraries class, I was only suppose to be doing a mini project of creating my own digital library. I don’t believe it’s required to make a website or go this in-depth, but the boyfriend and I are each working on fully functional mini-repositories for our collections. My subject matter is nineteen sketchbooks and three notebooks. These objects cover the majority of the analog portion of my long-term project with Jessica Laney.
I had originally made this website in May while visiting her on vacation. However, I got busy with my summer work and internships and never found time to resume my work. So, tonight I had my work cut out for me in upgrading the Drupal installation, every module (think: app or plugin) and the themes on the website. This process itself was not too hard, but I had to download the current website and it’s database as back-ups in case my installation process failed. And it almost did! Fortunately, three hours later, I had everything upgraded and back in working order.
Next came researching to see if someone had already created a Dublin Core module and they had! I had to install The eXtensible Catalog (XC) Drupal Toolkit in order to make the Dublin Core module to work. XC looks amazing and I can’t wait to test it out on another website in the future! I have to keep reminding myself to not mix up my projects and priorities at this point and just get my mini digital library online first.
Out of the box, the Dublin Core module does not offer a controlled vocabulary. So I had to install the CCK Autocomplete module in order to control this issue. I could have used drop down menus, but there are over 200 characters in our project. I would rather we start typing the name of a character and have the CCK Autocomplete offer solutions. I think tomorrow I’ll make a video about how to add a controlled vocabulary.
I also finally made progress on the doing some CCS theming! The best part of using the same theme on this and the ICL Communitas website, is that my breakthroughs in theming can be put into place there! :D My mini-triumph tonight was pushing the information inputted into the Dublin Core fields to the right 50px.
Drupal modules mentioned:
These notes cover the progress report plus information about metadata. I apologize for posting these notes so late!
My favorite part right now is that I was upset that I couldn’t find any simple explanation of XML and then later I noticed that the book holding up my smaller monitor is “XML for Dummies.” I just checked out the reviews on Amazon though and this book was panned. I guess I’ll have to look at it later to see what I think!
My mentor, David Gwynn, presented tonight. My proudest moment though was knowing that MPLP means “More Product, Less Processing.”
Also, I’ve dropped out of the Marketing class so I will not have any more notes to publish from that class. It was a difficult situation which has now been resolved.
We got to compare and contrast the way different digital libraries format and scan their books. I’m disappointed that I won’t be in next week’s class when David Gwynn teaches it!*
*Digital Libraries alternates between Wednesdays and Thursdays. I’m in another class on Thursday nights.
These are from the class presentation that I missed since I was in another class!
(The class meets on Elluminate so I can watch the recording later)
I’m not 100% certain on this paper, but it kills multiple birds with one stone. :-)
I realized half-way through that I could screencap the presentation and paste it into OneNote. Thus this pdf of notes is larger than usual!